So, I’m 25. The whole birthday thing happened last week and I’ve put off going through my 25 before I’m 25 list because, well, I didn’t do them all. 5 years ago all I would have wanted for my birthday was to go out, party, and have a night to remember with my friends. Now, all I wanted was a night, at home, doing nothing but relaxing. Maybe that’s the wedding planning/house buying craziness talking, but maybe it’s not. We had hamburgers and strawberry shortcake. It was the perfect in every way.
I originally posted about my 25 before I’m 25 list in 2010 and gave ‘er a little update in February 2011. Below is the final summary of what got done, and, um, what didn’t. About half made it to fruition and the other half of the list was a major fail. Everything on this list is still something I want to do, it just wasn’t in the cards for the year before I turned 25.
- Spend a week on a beach. Any beach. Unplugged. - Ok, I didn’t do this… but I’m going to be heading to a beach on my honeymoon. That counts right?
- Re-work the design of this site. - Done.
- Read 12 books, one per month. - Done. I think I read maybe 50 books this year, and totally underestimated my reading abilities.
- Post 100 times… 30 will, hopefully, be cranked out in November. - Well, I quit Nablopomo… and fell of the wagon when things got hectic this spring. Fail.
- Be healthy. Get back to working out and eating well. - Done. I think I’ve done this. I’ve been working out, trying to eat better and trying to slim down for the wedding.
- Try yoga. - Fail.
- Take cooking classes. - Fail.
- Schedule time for myself each week. - I would say I did this about 50% of the time. While I crave alone time, I’m too much of a do-er and end up finding things to do in place of “me time”.
- Find a classy purse that suits me. And buy it. - I bought a lovely gray purse off Etsy! Double done.
- Be able to do 10 push ups. - I can’t do 10, but I can see myself getting stronger and dipping lower and lower. Score!
- Attend Canvas and Cocktails. - I have a gift card but haven’t used it, yet. I’m halfway there.
- Smile more often — especially at strangers. - Some days this is a go, other days this is a fail. Check Denver traffic to see which day we’re on.
- Fix Charles. Surgery and all. - Done and done.
- Be happy. So much of it is in my control. - Done.
- Pick a cookbook and make all the recipes – except the ones with mushrooms or other inedible objects. – I’ve got cookbook commitment issues. Sue Me. Fail.
- Tell everyone I love, why I love them. - An everyday goal… and one that will always be in progress. Done.
- Send more mail. Cards, packages, random gifts. - I sent and gave lots of gifts, card and random little mementos this year. Done.
- Stay up late drinking wine and talking, even though I have to work the next day. - Done, done, done… too many times to count.
- Buy a pair of *perfect* boots for winter. - I bought a pair… but my calves rebelled and wouldn’t allow the zipper up. So technically, done?
- Spend a weekend in the mountains with friends. - Done.
- Buy something from Etsy for someone and for my house. - Done. I bought magnets at Christmas for friends (and a necklace)… and a purse for me!
- Develop my favorite pictures and hang them up. - Fail.
- Be a positive impact. Be aware of what I do, what I listen to and how I behave. You never know who you’re impacting. - Always a work in progress.
- Eat locally and naturally. Try to buy local and eat out at local restaurants. - Doing better at this. I love me some local food, and have tried to spend my money where it counts.
- Stop to smell the flowers. This year flew by and I was constantly caught up in the day-to-day. I want to remember to take it one step at a time and pause to enjoy it! - Well, I’m planning a wedding and buying a house. I haven’t had much time to stop and smell the flowers. Have to mark this one as a work in progress.
Maybe the next list should be a 30 before I’m 30. That way I have five years. Meaning I’ll either have plenty of time to get all 30 things done OR I’ll totally forget about it until the last day that I’m 20. There’s probably and equally good chance it could go either way!
*Image by Jonty Wareing